Medical Employability Program
The Medical Employability Program (MEP) provides expert medical opinions and recommendations pertaining to employees' abilities to perform the essential functions of a specific position as it relates to their health condition(s). These opinions enable your agency to find cost-effective ways of retaining employees and reducing attrition, while meeting regulatory standards.
How can Medical Employability Program services help my agency?
Our MEP team addresses a wide range of employee conditions, from lower back pain and limited vision, to bipolar disorder and autism. We help keep your agency workforce intact by working with management to bring employees back to work in a timely manner while also improving their ability to do their jobs. As a result, agencies maintain a high level of productivity.
What services can a Medical Employability Program provide for my agency?
Some services the MEP can provide include:
- Reasonable Accommodation (including handicapped parking and workstation ergonomic evaluation) under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990
- Return to Work / Office of Workers, Compensation Programs (OWCP) Case Management
- Fitness for Duty (medical and psychological)
- Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) / Advanced Sick Leave
- Leave Bank Medical Management
- Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Disability Package Review
- Continuation of Health Benefits for Adult Children
What if a medical issue is affecting a group of employees at the worksite?
FOH can assist your managers in providing risk communication, based on sound medical information, to the affected populations, managers, and human resources personnel.
Who handles Medical Employability Program cases?
FOH's MEP medical staff is comprised of physicians who are board certified in Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Physician Assistants, and Nurse Practitioners. These providers are trained to assess medical information with regard to validity and standards of care, while adhering to applicable Federal regulations and Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) guidelines.
What are the benefits?
- Individualized approach to every case
- Experienced medical providers trained to assess the unique needs of your employees
- Simple and flexible service delivery method using the Interagency Agreement (IAA)
"The value-added of FOH is its medical background. FOH gets detailed information about an employee's problem and makes a recommendation on how we can assist a person or establish disability. FOH helps us think 'outside the box' for ways to accommodate employees, especially those who have a disability that may not be obvious."
Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
- Experience — Since 1991, the FOH MEP office has handled over 40,000 requests, working with over 60 agencies nationally.
- Knowledge — Medical providers stay current on the latest medical research, best practices, and legal issues affecting employability requests.
- Support — The FOH MEP provides expert court testimony upon agency request.
Wellness within your reach.