About the size of a laptop computer, an AED is a computerized device that analyzes the heart rhythm and prompts a rescuer to deliver an electrical shock if needed. When AEDs are used in conjunction with CPR, they can increase survival rates between 50 and 80 percent.
AED Training and Oversight
FOH provides a comprehensive AED program that includes employee AED training and the required medical oversight, as a physician's prescription is needed in order to purchase most AEDs.
FOH's package of AED services ensure that:
- Programs are based upon best practices and current standards of care.
- AED responders are appropriately trained and confident in their skills.
- Each cardiac event tracing and subsequent response is reviewed by a qualified physician for quality assurance.
FOH AED Services
Among the services FOH provides are:
- Development of Customized AED Programs and Protocols
- FOH will design an AED program and site-specific protocols tailored to meet the unique and individual needs of your agency. Customized AED programs consider access barriers within the facility, and the specific type, number and location of AEDs required for optimal response. FOH also identifies persons to be trained as AED Responders, designs AED Responder Activation Systems, and coordinates the AED program with the local Emergency Medical Services organizations.
- AED Medical Director Services
- FOH has a Board-Certified Occupational Medicine physician who can serve as your agency's AED Medical Director; and who can provide oversight for the entire AED Program. In addition to providing medical consultation and expertise, the AED Medical Director will be involved with protocol development, reviewing all incidents, preparing incident reports, and overseeing the quality assurance program.
- CPR and AED Training
- FOH will organize Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and AED training for your agency's AED responders.
- Equipment Selection and Purchase
- FOH can assist in the selection and purchase of the AED device itself along with appropriate AED supplies and support equipment that meet the unique needs of your site. FOH will also help your agency purchase AED Training Units to use in place of the "live" AED device for quarterly practice sessions and to enable AED Responders to practice multiple response scenarios. FOH
procures and ships the AED units directly to your facility for mounting and
installation by your agency.
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest Event Analysis
- The FOH AED Medical Director will analyze the data from each cardiac event tracing, which records the victim's rhythms and timing of shocks delivered. The Medical Director will also prepare a report of the event.
- Critical Incident Stress Management
- Should a sudden cardiac arrest event occur, FOH can coordinate a response by FOH's Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for Critical Incident Stress Management within 24 to 48 hours of the event. If the Agency is not currently enrolled in FOH's EAP program, FOH can provide Critical Incident Stress Management debriefings at a very low cost to the agency.
The most beneficial AED program is one that not only can provide an AED device, but also integrates this life saving equipment into a comprehensive program that includes clinical expertise and quality assurance to assure the highest level of responder preparedness.
Download the FOH AED Services fact sheet for more information
More About Environmental Health and Safety Services